Sunday, April 16, 2017

Find Your Person & Find Your People

I'll never forget the episode on Greys where Meridith tells Christina "You are my person, you will always be my person.


Everyone in life needs a person.


Whether it be family or a friend.


You need them.


I always say that if I needed to hide a dead body I would call my sister. 


To me that is the true value of a friendship. The one you can tell your deepest darkest secrets to. 


But since she's my sister she's not my person because she's my sister and that trumps everyone to me.


But I do have a person.


Her name is Allison.


Allison Ray Alford.


My beautiful, red headed PERSON.


Your person is just the one who gets you. The one who would be there at 3am for a phone call, a shoulder to lean on, the person to help bail you out of jail if they aren't already sitting next to you. They're just that person you can sit in silence with and not expect anything from one another.


I met Allison at a cattle company we both used to work at. We were both very stand offish at first. Kind of like, ''okay I wanna get to know you but idk about it.''


We are weird...I know.


We have the exact same personality.


We both laugh loud, talk loud, and say what's on our minds(not sure who is worse, it's a close competition).


So, initially meeting we weren't bffs or anything but after like two weeks I remember her coming into my office and asking if I needed anything when she went to run errands. I told her no and we got to talking about people we both knew.


She had just become single and I asked her if she wanted to go out one night.


That would be the beginning to an awesome friendship.

Oh, we went out alright.


Again and again.


We had long talks, drank beers, cried together, road trips together, and even danced in the car together.


This girl watched me bury my mother and never judged me when it came to crazy family situations.


She made friends with my friends as well as introducing me to hers.


She's always been real and honest with me.


So yeah, somewhere along the way she became my person.


She's busy being a full time student (almost done with the Rad Tech program) while attending TAMU. She has a boyfriend and spends a lot of time with her family.


Needless to say she's super busy and so am I.


But we always pick up where we leave off.


A random text here or there.


She's always there if I need her.


But since I don't always have her around, I told myself I needed to make some new friends.


Friendship isn't about who you've known the longest, it's about who walked into your life said "I'm here for you and proved it."


I recently realized how amazing people are.


God puts people in your life for a reason.


About two months ago I got bored and wanted to do something I hadn't done in a while so I contacted a girl (Kayli Morsko) I hadn't ever really hung out with but knew through softball. She said they were going out and said I could join.


And God am I thankful I did.


I've met so many new faces since.


Kayli, Shelby, Savannah and Kelsey are now all my people too.


After my husband and I split I lost a lot of friends. People that I now realize were only friends because it was convenient. Maybe our husbands or boyfriends played softball together, or maybe they were old high school buddies but nevertheless not my friends.


It was then that I realized I only had my person.


I needed more than a person. I need people.


THESE PEOPLE GET ME.


It's funny because I used to be really shy about some things that have happened in my life. I wouldn't tell anyone because I was afraid people would judge me. I mean people did judge me so I put my guard up about it. Then, one day I realized I didn't give a shit anymore if people knew. I didn't care what they thought. Because at the end of the day yes it happened but it doesn't define who I am. Yes, it had a hand in changing me but it didn't make me. 

I made me.


SO, I told myself that anyone that I date or become friends with will know these things.


I'll tell you right off the bat and if you run, then you weren't meant to be in my life anyway.


These girls didn't do that.


They asked. They listened. They took me in for who I am.


Allison did that too. 


My new friends did that.


THESE ARE MY PEOPLE.


Everyone needs people.

Again, God puts people in your life for a reason. 

When I'm with any of these people, it's constant laughs, truths and fun. 

Yes we can be serious. 

But life is already serious enough, so why not have fun with your friends. 

If you're struggling with friends or relationships, do something different and make some new friends. 

Because everyone needs their people. 

And I thank God for mine!


No comments: